Monday, October 7, 2013

Blindness

I remember waking out of a nightmare once. It was dark. My head was covered. I could see nothing. Turning my head in a panic I looked for something -- anything -- on which I could lay my eyes and prove to myself I hadn't gone blind. The panic was brief, lasting only seconds as I came out of my sleep-induced stupor. But it was one of the most frightening experiences I can remember.

The fact is, I'm scared to death of going blind.

The reasons for this are legion, but among the greatest is simply this: I just don't have the faith to walk without sight. I don't like to be led. I don't like to not know where I'm going. Even fog is sometimes enough to give me serious pause. I can drive in almost any condition with confidence and competence. But you take away my ability to see more than a few feet ahead, and I slow to a near-crawl, taking each several yards as a significant triumph over the weather-produced blindness. Take away my sight entirely, and I may well become something like a hermit. I can perhaps count on both hands the people I trust enough to lead me in the event I'm unable to see where I'm going.

Yet, for all the nervousness I have about physical blindness, how much more important is the ability to see clearly in Spiritual matters? As important as we believe our temporary, physical bodies are, how much more our eternal souls?

When it comes to the Mystery of God, I admit I can see only a few feet in front of me at a time. I was once entirely blind, but praise God, He has opened my eyes. Even so, my vision is imperfect. Even so, I need the wisdom of those walking before me to counsel me on the turns and ruts in the path ahead. But, it is important to know where these leaders are leading. It's important to understand whether they are leading in a Godly direction.

In Galatians, we read of a group of believers under the thrall of a blind leader. He doesn't know where he is going, yet he is leading others.

I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse! (Galatians 1:6-9)

Yet, Scripture tells us to test the words of preachers and prophets against the Word of God and the guidance of the Spirit (1 Thessalonians 5:20-22). 

So thank God for Godly pastors and ministers. Thank God for those who have been given the terrifying and all-important task of leading the rest of us through the fog and darkness of this world. Thank God, and pray for them, that they continue to be led by Him, so they can lead us in His steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment