Tuesday, November 5, 2013

I :Heart: My Cushy Christianity

Man, we have it easy.

It's true. Western Christians have a very, very easy life. Some might say it's even too easy.

There are Eastern countries in which our Brothers and Sisters in Christ are being beheaded for proclaiming the name of Jesus. There are places where churches are being bombed, with no justice for the victims. Places where even children are cut down because of the God their families worship. There are nations in which Christians are willing to die just to possess a single page of God's Word.

I have a confession to make: I'm glad I live in a country where we have religious liberty. There are days in which we're tempted to believe we do not. But when it comes right down to it, what we deal with on a daily basis isn't persecution. Not even close. If I so chose, I could walk down the street, carrying my Bible, and even speak openly about God's word in public. I can share my faith and not once worry about whether I'll keep my head. I can attend one of hundreds of buildings in my city openly dedicated to preaching Christ and worshiping God.

If I go through life as a Christian, and the worst I have to deal with is being called a hypocrite, a fool, or a bigot, I'm honestly okay with that.

In this time of Thanksgiving, I'm thankful today that my children are growing up in a country where they can openly worship Jesus Christ. A country where we don't have to huddle in dark corners of basements, meeting in secret to grow in Christ.

I'm thankful, and I feel horrible that I'm thankful. Because, meanwhile, our Brothers and Sisters suffer. Be thankful. Thank and praise God that you live with freedom to worship Him. But pray, too. Pray for the Body of Christ being persecuted and murdered on the other side of the world. This is our Family being cut down, chased, truly persecuted. Pray for them, and hold fast.

And, while you're praying, ask yourself this question: what are you doing with all your freedom?

"Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." -Matthew 5:10

No comments:

Post a Comment