Friday, March 15, 2013

Dumbstruck

I confess, one thing I rarely am is speechless. Even from a young age, my inability to simply hold my tongue would often get me in trouble. If it popped into my head, I had to say it. This was especially true when somebody said something. I was often accused of "having an answer for everything." Teachers and parents referred to it as "talking back."

Of course, that's part of the reason I do what I do for a living.

But you know, there is something to be said for silence. Something more to being rendered speechless.

Yesterday's devotion was on the irrational, transcendent, unending love of God. Romans 5:7-8 says,

Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Think of it! I don't have an answer to this sort of grace. No smart comeback or witty aside. For my deeds, I deserve Hell. For my rebellion against the laws of God, I should be separated from His presence forever. But, because He loves me, Jesus willingly died as a way to bridge the gap I created between myself and the Father. What can I do, but follow the path of David and tremble before His mercy?

Tremble and do not sin;
    when you are on your beds,
    search your hearts and be silent.
Offer the sacrifices of the righteous
    and trust in the Lord. (Psalm 4:4-5)

In today's culture, where we have an outlet for literally everything that pops in our heads, silence can be hard. We feel this need to fill the quiet moments with speech, no matter how inane. The truth is, there simply aren't any words. God Himself offered the sacrifice. I have nothing left but to search my heart in silent gratitude, realize I can't say or do anything to deserve what He has done, and trust in Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment