Wednesday, March 6, 2013

What's In A Name?

Today is Discover What Your Name Means Day. Most names have meanings -- unless you happen to have a Hollywood parent who named you something like Brick or Scooter or something. But in Scripture, names were inspired. The name could reveal something about somebody's personality ("Nabal," for example, means "fool" -- an apt description -- in 1 Samuel 25), or about his destiny. Sometimes, people were given a new name. Jacob became Israel because he wrestled with God. When Saul (of the New Testament) was confronted by Jesus and stripped of his pride, he was given the new name, "Paul," which means "little" or "small," a reminder, perhaps of his own weakness.

Names mean something to God. So when He sent His son to free the world of its sin, only the name Jesus - Savior - would do. God Himself picked the name and gave it to Joseph (who's own name, by the way, appropriately means "God Increases"). Matthew 1:21 tells of the Angel of the Lord appearing to Joseph, comforting him and telling him to stay with his wife. "She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”
  
Think about this from Joseph's perspective. An angel comes to tell you your wife did indeed conceive a child by supernatural means and that "You will name Him Savior!"  The name carries implications -- not only that this child would be a Savior, but that somebody needed saving. And sure enough, the Angel continued: He will save His people. Not from the Romans. Not from poverty. But "from their sins." 

There are those who believe they don't need salvation. Who revel in their own folly -- and then wonder why things don't seem to go right for them, or why they can't just be happy and content. As for me, I know I need Salvation. I know on my own, my sins would overtake my life and enslave me. I know because I feel in my heart where I would be without God, and where I in my humanness tend to fall when I forget Him. 

I need to be saved, and thank God I can turn to the one He named Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment