Monday, July 1, 2013

Looking Backward -- and Looking Ahead

Today marks the beginning of the second half of the year. Just another six months remain of 2013. Seems like it's a good time to take stock of where we are now. For me, the new year represented a chance to recommit my life in service to God.

So how have I done in that pursuit? Have I made the effort to walk closer with Him, or have I merely paid lip service to the idea of serving Christ more? Like, I think, many of us, I fear I have to admit there were plenty of days in which I simply wasn't deliberate about acting out my faith. Days when, given the choice between finding ways to serve or doing nothing at all, I chose the couch over the mission field.

Make no mistake: serving God is a choice we make -- and it's a choice we make daily. Eventually -- maybe sooner than we think -- we will be called to account for the gifts we've been given. Like the three servants (Matthew 25:14-30), we will be asked what we did with the Talents -- the time, resources, and skills -- we were given. Did we hide what we had in a hole? Did we make a minimum investment? Or did we take the step of faith in the God who gave us those resources, and use them to further His kingdom?

When my wife sold Mary Kay cosmetics, I remember she had a couple of inspirational pictures she would look at. Goals, more or less. Things that would help her mark success as a Mary Kay consultant. The pink Cadillac SUV was one. This is a fairly common practice among those who work to achieve a goal: find a way to visualize that goal, and keep it in front of you, as a way to inspire success.

Paul suggests similar inspiration in Philippians 3: "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (vs 14)."

Paul's words to Timothy are my Pink Cadillac.  When I don't want to go on... when I'd rather sit in front of the TV than serve my community and my God... I have in front of me the example of Paul. He had plenty of trouble -- certainly more trouble than mere apathy -- yet, he chose daily to serve his God in such a way that, when he knew his time was coming to an end, he could look back without regret. He could look on the life he lived, and know that, when it came down to it, he had spent his life in service to God and His church.

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. (2 Timothy 4:7-8)

No comments:

Post a Comment