Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Like Filet Mignon For the Soul

For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. (Hebrews 5:13-14)

The writer of Hebrews compares the knowledge of God to milk and solid food. The basics, he refers to as milk, while deeper understanding -- that of a teacher -- he calls solid food. This is apt, and not unprecedented in Scripture. After all, David writes, in Psalm 34:8, "taste and see that the Lord is good!" 

I've pointed out before, the beauty of Scripture is that, with every reading, there is more to learn. But so often, I find it hard to discipline myself to do so. Sometimes, it even feels like a chore. Which is weird, because when I actually do take the time out to read it, it is a real and honest joy to dig in and learn more about the God who created me, saved me, and loves me. Yet there is this whispering in my ear that I don't have time today. That I'll do it when I get around to it. How spoiled I have been, that I can read the very Word of God any time I want, but find excuses to refuse! 

There are places where the Word of God must be smuggled in, and every page is lovingly pored over and savored before being passed on to the next hungry soul. But here I am. I'm like a rich man, refusing to eat his filet mignon, even as the poor around me must struggle just for every taste of milk or crumb of bread. 

God, that I would savor this meal You have placed before me! That I would understand the privilege it is to never be without Your Word, and that I would not only sup often, but then pass the plate!

No comments:

Post a Comment