Monday, August 19, 2013

Who's Flying This Thing?!

Have you ever seen a license plate that says, "God is my co-pilot?" While I get the sentiment, I've always been a touch dismayed by the implications. When you fly, the Captain, the guy in charge, is the Pilot. This is the person whose job it is to get you safely from Point A to Point B. This is the person who tells the passengers to buckle up (or instructs the flight crew to do so), because it's about to get bumpy.

If God is your co-pilot, you're in the wrong chair.

The co-pilot is a backup. There in case of emergencies. Or if the pilot has to make an unscheduled pit-stop. And very often, that's exactly how we treat Him. As long as things are going well, we might not even talk to Him. Or if we do, it's a quick "please" do this or "forgive me for" that. Then things get rocky, and we consider switching the controls over, but always ready to take it back in case God gets it wrong.

You know, the more I think about it, "God is my Co-pilot" may be one of the most faithless sentiments I've ever heard.

Many are the plans in the mind of a man,
    but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.
Proverbs 19:21

No comments:

Post a Comment