Thursday, February 7, 2013

Cards & Other Acts of Kindness

Today is Send A Card To A Friend Day. It's a simple concept. One I've personally never been very good at, but easy in theory. Show somebody you care by just sending a card. It may not seem like much, but occurs to me that Christians ought to excel at little, random acts of kindness. Kindness is, after all, an attribute of God and, indeed, one of the Fruits of the Holy Spirit (Gal 5:22).

Colossians 3:12 reminds us that, if we are in Christ, kindness is a part of who we are.

Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

So, what is kindness?  Being a word guy, I find the best, most descriptive definitions can often be found among the synonyms for a word. Another word for kindness is charity. Benevolence. Humanity. Sympathy, generosity, compassion. 

In short, kindness is a verb. It's not about simply having nice thoughts toward somebody. What good does that do, anyway? Kindness is not just another word for "being nice." Nice is too easy. No, kindness is using your actions to tell somebody, "you are a person of value."

I'm known for a lot of things, and not all of them positive. When I'm gone, I'll probably be remembered as being somewhat sarcastic. Cynical, even. Maybe, charitably, as quick-witted. But what I hope I'm remembered for -- the legacy I hope to leave behind -- is as somebody who reflected his Father's love in his kindness toward others. 

Maybe I'll send a card today. Nothing flashy. Just something to say, "You are important to me, and you are important to God." Because I think more people ought to hear that more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment