Wednesday, February 13, 2013

We All Fall Down

Today is Ash Wednesday. Traditionally, this first day of Lent, we begin our 40 days of sacrifice with sorrow and remembrance of our wicked lives. The ashes are representative of this deep sadness and regret -- a symbol sprinkled throughout the Old Testament of anguish.

More than anything, it is a sign of repentance. A way to humbly come before God with an expression of sorrow for how we have sinned against Him (Matthew 11:20-22).

These next 40 days we know as Lent are a great reminder of everything Jesus gave up in order to bring us closer to Himself. Of how He traded Divinity for Humanity, how He allowed Himself to hunger, thirst, and be tempted, so He could then lead a life of service before being brutalized and murdered -- all so you and I wouldn't have to suffer the eternal consequence of Godless lives. Ash Wednesday reminds us of the sorrow and humility with which we approach the Throne of Grace. We understand our position in comparison with God, and realize we haven't the right to even ask forgiveness -- but that He has freely and willingly offered it anyway.

I confess I have mixed feelings about Ash Wednesday. When I sin before my God, I am reminded of how little I have to offer Him -- that my deeds and what material possessions I have are as ashes before His glory. But at the same time, Psalm 103:12 tells us "as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us." 

So are we, then, to be sorrowful for a life God Himself no longer remembers? Now that we are forgiven, are we to drape ourselves in sackcloth and ashes, to continue to regret the sins which are no longer a part of who we are? I believe Christ removed that Sin from my life, and can't therefore grieve over it, but instead must rejoice in knowing I am clean. 

I can only conclude Ash Wednesday is indeed for all of us. Because we all sin and fall short of the Glory of God. And when we do, we must humble ourselves in deep sorrow, and come before God to repent. But once forgiven, Ash Wednesday is a way to remember who we once were, and rejoice that Christ has transformed us.

2 comments: