Tuesday, February 19, 2013

I Found The Prize!

Today is Cracker Jack Day.

I love Cracker Jacks. The caramel popcorn and peanut concoction recalls a simpler time, sitting on the lawn, that little cardboard box in front of me, hands slipping in for another handful and finding instead that wrapped object, shoved in among the deliciousness. The prize. It was always some cheap piece of junk, a plastic magnifying glass or... actually I can't even remember any other prizes. But there was a time in our lives when we loved it.

Yet, that was never why I bought cracker jacks with the day's allowance. I bought it because it was a tasty snack. The prize was a bonus.

Christianity is like that. We hear about our "reward" in Heaven, but that's not why I'm a Christian. I am a Christian because Jesus Christ allowed Himself to be humbled, to be humiliated, to be tortured and killed, all so that I could be forgiven, and know God. He called me out of sin, and into righteousness. He has given me a life of purpose, of grace, and of Love. He has given me a relationship with the Creator of the Universe. And then to top it off, He extended it for all eternity, and without the pain we suffer in this life. A life lived as close to the presence of God as we are able, an eternity in the actual presence of the Most High. That's the goodness in the box, for me. That I am loved by a sovereign king, the creator of all things, the God of the Universe.

But then, as though it isn't enough that He willingly forgives everything I've ever done, he adds a prize.

"Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done." (Revelation 22:12)

That's not why I'm a Christian. That's not why I serve Him. I serve Christ because I love Him. A life serving a loving, living God is the box of cracker jacks. But God's reward sure beats a plastic magnifying glass.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Randy! another great inspiring commentary! I love this... and by the way, at least one of the other prizes I always treasured was that plastic ring with the large sparkly gem! :) Blessings, my friend...you certainly bless my heart with these devotionals!

    ReplyDelete