Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Hearing and Listening (and Doing)

As somebody who has stood at a pulpit on several occasions, I get frustrated by the word "Amen." I imagine
this is a frustration shared by actual, full-time preachers at every kind of church, from home church, to 20-member chapel, to 10,000-seat megachurch.

Allow me to explain. I've been going to church nearly all my life. Every so often, you'll get a preacher who's just on fire, inspiring shouts of "Amen" from among the congregation. Now, don't get me wrong: the encouragement is appreciated. It's just, it's not the pastor's (or fill-in speaker's, as I have been, or evangelist's) job to merely tickle the congregation's ears with an exciting message. The idea, as near as I've been able to discern -- and maybe I'm wrong about this -- is to inspire action. In other words, the shouts of "Amen" don't mean anything, if they aren't followed up by the shouter's personal, internal commitment to apply the message to his or her own life.

Perhaps what makes this seeming lack of follow-through so frustrating, though, is that I'm so bad at it myself. It's so easy to get inspired. It's such a simple thing to hear God speaking. But to really listen? To apply the word of the Lord and really make a change? 

It's funny: I get frustrated with my kids over the exact same thing. I can only image God's frustration with me. Thank Him for grace and mercy!

James tells us,

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do. (James 1:22-25)

Hearing what the pastor says is good. Being moved to an "Amen" is good, too. But what God looks for is application. What has the Lord been laying on your heart lately? Has He been using your pastor to give you a message? Maybe you've been hearing it long enough. Maybe it's time to do something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment