Friday, April 19, 2013

Leaving Behind A Legacy

Last weekend, George Beverly Shea passed away, at the age of 104. Shea, who led worship for Billy Graham's crusades and appeared regularly on "Hour of Decision," was still singing as he rounded out his 1st century on earth and began a second. His voice and delivery popularized a great many favorite hymns, like a personal favorite, "How Great Thou Art." Shea glorified God with his life, right up until he was finally taken home.

That is a legacy!

Shea's passing can't help but bring to mind that of another great Christian artist, Rich Mullins. Unlike Shea, Mullins was killed in an accident at the age of 41, in 1997. But he, too, had built a legacy on glorifying his Savior. Mullins wrote many popular songs, like the often-sung "Awesome God," and Amy Grant's hit, "Sing Your Praise to the Lord."

These are men whose legacies live on in their music, but more importantly, in the lives they touched.

The truth is, you don't need to be famous to leave behind a legacy for the Kingdom. And, if you do as God asks, your legacy is made no greater or in anyway diminished by the presence or absence of a recording contract. What God cares about -- the legacy that will last -- is, how did you affect those around you? Did you plant seeds for the Kingdom of God? Were you somebody who loved fiercely, who chased God zealously, who gave generously of yourself?

How will you be remembered?

As for me, I know I'll never be remembered as widely as a George Beverly Shea, or a Rich Mullins. But I hope and pray, as God helps me to grow in Him, that when my time comes, I'll be remembered by those who knew me as somebody who loved God -- and through Christ, loved others -- with all my heart.

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. (2 Timothy 4:7-8)

No comments:

Post a Comment