Friday, April 26, 2013

Teenagers!

I'll admit: I don't often have much patience for teenagers. In a rare moment of clarity, however, I can see that this lack of patience isn't their problem, but my own. It's easy to forget being a teen myself. Easy to forget that, between all those social stresses and all the drama, these developing adults are actually growing in wisdom -- and may even have something worthwhile to contribute.

Such was certainly the case with young Timothy, mentored by Paul. While probably not a teenager, Timothy was a leader among a group of Christians -- and deemed by some as far too young for the task. That's why Paul told him in his first letter to him (Chapter 4, verse 12), "Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity." 

Timothy, if you read this letter, clearly had a lot to offer. He was a servant, a teacher, and a leader. And Paul put a lot on his young shoulders. But before that could happen, Paul was first a mentor. Young Timothy had to be nurtured in the faith, trained in the ways and wisdom of Christ, before he could become the man and leader God needed him to be. 

My lack of patience for the young is a personal failing -- and one that leads to greater failings. As one more mature (in theory) in the faith, is it not my job to instruct those younger? Is it not incumbent upon me to make disciples -- that is, to lead them in their learning about Christ? We aren't done teaching when somebody gets saved. When we're doing it right, this is when the real work begins. 

Today's teenagers -- like generations of teens before them -- are weird. They're dramatic, and worried about all the wrong things. They're awkward and uneducated. And so was I. And so were you. Thank God somebody had the faith and patience to see through all that, and to find my potential. Thank God somebody saw I, too, had something to offer -- and was willing to show me that I did! Truth is, as a kid, I didn't know what I had to offer. Teenagers need be told -- shown! -- that they are worthwhile; that they are unique, and special, and important.

I pray daily that God will soften my own heart so I, too, can see the potential in the young people in my life.

1 comment:

  1. You need to come hang with the teens in my homeschool group :).

    ReplyDelete