Thursday, May 16, 2013

Love a Tree

Today is Love a Tree Day. And I do. One in particular. The tree I love, I love not because of the wood of which it is made, or because of how majestically it stands. In fact, the tree I love isn't really a tree, but a cross. Yet, this particular tree bears fruit -- and that fruit is our Salvation.

Without the Cross, and what it represents -- and without the resurrection of Christ -- we would be completely without hope and lost in our sin.

The Old Rugged Cross, by George Bennard

1. On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
 the emblem of suffering and shame;
 and I love that old cross where the dearest and best
 for a world of lost sinners was slain.
Refrain:
 So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
 till my trophies at last I lay down;
 I will cling to the old rugged cross,
 and exchange it some day for a crown.

2. O that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
 has a wondrous attraction for me;
 for the dear Lamb of God left his glory above
 to bear it to dark Calvary.
 (Refrain)

3. In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
 a wondrous beauty I see,
 for 'twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
 to pardon and sanctify me.
 (Refrain)

4. To that old rugged cross I will ever be true,
 its shame and reproach gladly bear;
 then he'll call me some day to my home far away,
 where his glory forever I'll share.
 (Refrain)

No comments:

Post a Comment