Friday, May 24, 2013

Seeking and Finding

Today is Scavenger Hunt Day.

I love scavenger hunts. One of the things my wife has recently started doing is putting together lists of things for our kids to find. We then will go on walks around town, and down to the park, as they look for things to check off their lists. They have a great time, and it's a fun way to spend time with them.

Of course, the trick, when it comes to doing a good scavenger hunt, is in making a list of things they have to actually search for. It can't just fall in their laps: they have to want to find it.

It's the same way when it comes to finding God. He puts the clues out there. He outright tells you who He is. He speaks into your spirit with a still, small voice. But you have to want to find Him. Proverbs 8:17 says, "I love those who love me and those who seek me find me."

In Jeremiah 29:12-13, God promises, "Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

And Jesus invites us, in Matthew 7:7 to, "ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

God wants a relationship with us -- but more than that, he wants us to want a relationship with Him.  So He puts Himself out there... all you have to do is look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment