Friday, November 2, 2012

Daddy

I like to believe my children know I love them. I like to think that, on some level, they understand the work I do to keep food on the table and a roof over their heads; the rules and guidelines we set to keep them safe; my daily displays of affection, are all my way of proving my love for them.

Sometimes, it's not enough. They need to know, not in a practical way, but emotionally or intellectually, that I love them. So, they ask. Out of the blue, my seven-year-old daughter will look over and say, "Dad?"

"Yes, Lindy?"

"I love you."

And she expects -- needs -- to hear me say it back.

Sometimes, this will come in the form of a little four-year-old hand reaching for my own, or a tiny voice asking to sit on my shoulders.

And I love these moments because in their need to know my love for them, my children show how much they love me.

Sometimes, when we pray, it gets so easy to tell God we love Him that we say it without even thinking. It's just part of the spiel. But where Christians get burned out is when we forget that He wants to make His love for us known as well.

Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 18:2-4)

Sometimes, we forget it's okay to ask God to tell us He loves us. In fact, He wants us to reach out our tiny hands and grope for His own. He wants us to rest at his feet, to seek shelter in His arms. To crawl into His lap and whisper, "Daddy."

Humility isn't the same thing as weakness. Humility is a recognition that we are God's children, that He is our Father, and that we need Him to love us. 

And as a Dad, sometimes, He needs to hear it, too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment