Friday, November 16, 2012

Too Bad The Colors Don't Match

I grew up in Michigan with a Barry Sanders poster on my wall. It wasn't always easy being a Lions fan... heartbreaking, in fact, during the Sanders years. But it's what I grew up with and, as somebody who really has never had time to be a regular sports fan, liking the Lions was simply a part of my heritage. As an adult, I found I longed for those Thanksgivings with my family, watching the Lions braving the cold while the smell of turkey, stuffing, and varied pies wafted from the kitchen. A New Yorker for seven years, I never cared about their teams one way or another -- a condition borne of the fact that I simply didn't have anyone with whom to watch the game. Yeah... I'm a social football watcher.

Since moving to Wisconsin, of course, football is an inescapable part of the culture. Especially when you live just a quick drive away from Lambeau Field. After being introduced to the team in the best possible way -- a friend took me to a Packers preseason game shortly after we moved out here -- I developed a genuine affinity for my new home team. Which is great... except for when they play the Lions. Like this coming Sunday.

Try as I might, there's a bit of a divided loyalty there. Though I really do like Green Bay, my childhood self won't let me wish defeat on my Lions. The result is a sort of apathy, the end result of which is that I root for the most convenient.

Go Pack!

Jesus said in Matthew 6:24,

“No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."

Ultimately, in football or in life, you will choose sides. If your loyalty is split between you and God, your heart will simply do what is easiest and, before long, God won't even be in the picture. If you're going to serve God, you must make your choice.

As for me, praising God that He is as stable as I am fickle, I gladly choose to serve my Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment