Friday, January 18, 2013

Describing An Indescribable God

Today is Thesaurus Day. Being a word guy, an entire book of synonyms and new ways of expressing things is a fascinating and wonderful thing. But it occurs to me, that even with a Thesaurus, I still don't have the words in my vocabulary to sufficiently describe the wonder, the love, the grace, and the glory of our God. But then, because I believe everything we do, we do for the Glory of God, Thesaurus Day seems like a good day to try.

My God is...

Holy (Revelation 4:8): Sacred, Blessed, Devoted, Righteous, Uncorrupted, Perfect.

Just (Deuteronomy 32:4): Fair, Impartial, Blameless, Even-handed, Upright, Virtuous, Trustworthy

He is Majestic. He is our Savior, our Redeemer, our protector and provider. Our friend. Our father.

He is forgiving, and merciful, and comforting.

He is El Echad - the One God
El Emet - the God of Truth
El Shaddai - the All-sufficient God
El Elyon - God Most High
El Olam - God Everlasting
El Roi - The God Who Sees Me!

He is Adonai Elohai - The Lord, My God.
Adonai Nissi - The Lord, My Miracle.

Jewish tradition has so many names for God -- simply trying to describe who He is -- I don't have time to find, let alone print, them all. But I know this: this wonderful, awesome, indescribable God wants a personal relationship with me. Wants to forgive me for the wrong I've done against Him, and even sometimes in His name. He wants to draw me near. And some day, my paltry words will no longer be necessary, because I will be surrounded in His glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment