Friday, January 25, 2013

Opposite Day: I Do Not Understand What I Do

Doing the right thing can be hard. Even when I truly want to do the right thing, some part of my nature still wants to resist. This is a truth, whether a person believes in Christ or doesn't: on some level, we know right from wrong, and, unless there is something wrong with us, we really do want to do what's right. But we still lie, cheat, sometimes steal. We still gossip, or say hurtful things to those we love.

Paul puts it this way in Romans 7:15: "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do."

The question, then, is why? Why do we do that which we do not want to do, and fail to do what we know is right? Paul asks the question, and answers it:

As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. (Romans 7:17-20) 

Jesus put it this way: “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” (Matthew 26:41) 

Man is born into sin. We are born unable to attain perfection, even by what we would consider our own standards. You never, for example, have to teach a child how to lie. She's born with the knowledge. We don't need to teach selfishness, or greed, or disobedience. These things come naturally. Only virtue must be taught. And even then, on our own,  we fall short.

So what can we do? Here we are, left doing the opposite of what we want to do; more importantly, the opposite of what God wants from us. Can we do anything to come back within the will of God, and please Him? 

Well, no. But then, as Paul reminds us, we don't need to: "Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord! (Romans 7:25a).

We have a God who not only wants to forgive us for falling short, but wants His Spirit to live in us, so that, through Him, we can learn to be holy. 

I've found that, when I really want my kids to do what I want them to do -- clean their rooms, for example -- it helps if I physically help them do it. I show them by example what I want from them, and break down my expectations into smaller tasks. 

This is what Christ does for us. Rather than berate us for falling short, he gets in there and guides us. He showed us by His example what He expects, and, knowing we still can't accomplish His perfection on our own, moves in us, renews our minds, and helps us to do what is right. 

2 comments: