Tuesday, January 8, 2013

God's War on Poverty

Today is War On Poverty Day -- a reminder that on this day, January 8, in 1964, President Lyndon Johnson declared a "War on Poverty."

Now, depending on your political persuasion, you may have your own opinions on that, but as a Christian, I think he might well have been onto something: that man is, indeed, to care for the poor. This is not a political statement, and I'm not talking about the government here. No, this is instead a deeply spiritual issue. God cares very much for the poor, and expects His Church -- His Bride -- to care as well. In fact, as God's children and heirs, we have all the more reason and responsibility to care for the less fortunate among us. After all, weren't we poor in our sins until Christ in his grace and mercy lifted us up?

God's view on poverty is clear in the book of Proverbs.

Whoever oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. (14:31)

Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will reward them for what they have done. (19:17)

One who oppresses the poor to increase his wealth and one who gives gifts to the rich—both come to poverty. (22:16)

Those who give to the poor will lack nothing, but those who close their eyes to them receive many curses. (28:27)

The righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern. (29:7)

And those are just a few examples! God cares about what happens to the poor and, what's more, he wants you and me to do something about it. So what do we do? Do we take it to the halls of government and shove it off on their shoulders? Or do we be the bride of Christ and do as He has commanded? 

It's so easy, in this world, to lament that the problem is too big. To give the problem to others to deal with, and hope it works out. It's easy to declare that others aren't doing all they should, while at the same time keeping our own resources close and tight. Or even -- and I am just as guilty of this one -- to declare a man's poverty is his own problem, built of his own doing, and as such is not our concern. 

How blessed are we that Jesus didn't have the same attitude about our sin!

I'm not talking politics here. I'm talking about doing what's right in the eyes of our Savior and Lord. He is clear in His expectations:


For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me... Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me. (Matthew 25:34-36, 40)

For those who did for the least of these, the King has eternal reward. For those who did not, judgement. 

Washington's War on poverty may or may not be political posturing. But God's war on poverty is serious indeed, and He expects His children to fight it.

No comments:

Post a Comment