Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Playing God

God's Wheel, art and poetry by Shel Silverstein,
from his book "A Light in the Attic"
Today is Play God Day. I am reminded of the poem "God's Wheel" by Shel Silverstein.

God says to me with a kind of smile,
"Hey how would you like to be God awhile
And steer the world?"
"Okay," says I, "I'll give it a try.
Where do I set?
How much do I get?
What time is lunch?
When can I quit?"
"Gimme back that wheel," says God.
"I don't think you're quite ready yet."

 I am reminded daily that it is by God's grace alone that I have occasions of being a good man. I can know God, but in knowing Him know also that I am unworthy of Him.

God reminded Job of His majesty and power, beginning in Chapter 38:

Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation?
    Tell me, if you understand.
Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
    Who stretched a measuring line across it?
On what were its footings set,
    or who laid its cornerstone—
while the morning stars sang together
    and all the angels shouted for joy?
(Job 38:4-7)

I can, however, by His grace strive to be more like Christ.

So today, being Play God Day, I want to invite you to celebrate the glory and wonder of God, who steers the world. Celebrate a Savior we can only begin to comprehend. Celebrate the fact that you and I are not Him -- and better still, that He is not bound by our petty differences and desires. That He can give grace and love and joy and life abundantly, because He is the author and perfecter of those things and more. And celebrate, too, that He gives us those things, not merely for our own benefit, but to share with the world. Celebrate that, while we can never be as great as God, He chooses us to walk with Him, to be Holy as He is Holy (Mt. 5:48), and to be His hands and feet on this earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment