Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Coffee

I don't start my day without a cup of coffee. Preferably good coffee, but when I'm desperate, bad will do just as well. My blood is actually more caffeine than water: I generally drink strong, black coffee throughout most of the day, and I almost never go to bed before one more cup.

It is the fuel that wakes me up, keeps me going, allows me to focus, and finally calms my nerves.

The question I'm asking myself lately is simply this: what if I needed time with my Savior as much as I need a good dark roast?

I do, and more. I need Him to start my day. I need Him to keep me going, and to focus my eyes on what matters. I need Him to calm my soul at the end of the day. I need Him with a desperation I can barely fathom.

The difference is, every morning, I make time for coffee. And, I confess, sometimes I take my Lord for granted. That's the curse of always being there. I know that, when I turn to Him, there He'll be, because He is faithful. More faithful, thank God, than I can be.

My prayer today -- and every day -- is for God to remind me He's there, and that I need to seek His face, at the start of my morning, throughout the day, and before I go to sleep. And that I remember to thank Him for always being there -- even when I can't find a cup of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment