Friday, October 12, 2012

The God of Bursting Your Personal Bubble

Sometimes,  serving God can be just plain scary. He leads where He will,  and invites you to follow whatever course He has laid out for you. And, if it suits His purpose, sometimes, He even shows you what the next step will look like. Sometimes. And sometimes, He just asks us to trust Him.

My life has recently become a lesson in trusting God in everything. From the decision to move my family a thousand miles from home to the finding of a church, I'm learning that it can be just as difficult to take that next step of faith in the Spiritual as it can in the Physical.

I am learning lately that God moves in ways I'm not always ready or willing to understand. That God can be unexpected. That the movement of God can defy a lifetime of instruction, of comfortable religiosity, or even of common sense.

An example: the church where my family and I have been led -- and I can have no doubt it was God who brought us there -- is challenging me on some pretty deeply held doctrines. Nothing necessarily biblical, but you know how it is: you grow up in a church, under a set system of beliefs, and it can become ingrained.

The implications of this challenge are in some ways uncomfortable. What if I've been wrong about this? Uncomfortable, yes, but not insurmountable. It is a challenge that, at least, requires study. It will require getting to know more about God and His word. And it will require allowing Him to move in my life in ways I haven't considered.

Maybe that's the most uncomfortable thing of all.

But, if God wants to bless me in ways I've never been blessed, am I willing to turn Him down, just because the blessing may challenge my personal paradigms?

Romans 15:13 - May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts, man. And it's such a familiar story, with God leading you into the unknown. I hope I will always be willing to go there with Him, and trust Him when it's not comfortable.

    ReplyDelete