Wednesday, October 3, 2012

So... THIS Is Love.

My 4-year-old daughter said something profound yesterday. "I love Jesus because He is in my heart," she said. The simple faith and trust of a small child, and it made my wife and me smile. But she didn't stop there. "That is why I can love him," she said. "That's why I can love everybody."

We had,  in fact, been talking that evening with friends about how God often speaks to us the same way we speak to our children. Sometimes simply. Sometimes bluntly. Sometimes with an air of exasperation. What we didn't talk about was how often God speaks through our children.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. (Matthew 5:43-48)

Anyone can love somebody who loves them back. Only in Christ can we love those who do not. I've been learning lessons about love and forgiveness in my own life, slowly realizing that I need to forgive as I am forgiven, and to love as I am loved. It took my daughter to remind me that I can't do it without the Spirit of the Living God.

2 Timothy 1:7 reminds us of this: "For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline."

Galatians 5 reminds us that Love is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. 

Are you having a hard time forgiving somebody who, maybe, doesn't even know they need it? Is it hard, sometimes, to love the unlovable? In our own strength, this can be -- it is -- an impossible task. But, because Jesus loved us first, we can love everybody. Just ask my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment