Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Just Chatting With The Creator of the Universe... No Big Deal

A good friend and former pastor of mine likes to refer to prayer as "just talkin' to God." This is, of course, true. Thanks to the indwelling of His Spirit, and Jesus' promise to remain with us always, we know He is always present if we will only talk to Him.

But you know, there are times when I wonder whether I allow that familiarity with which he lets us address Him to invite temptation to forget to whom, exactly, I am speaking.

Everyone knows the Lord's Prayer. When Jesus' disciples asked Him to teach them to pray, he begins it this way: "Our Father in Heaven, Hallowed be your name."

Hallowed: Holy. Venerated. Sacred.

When we talk to God, it is vital we remember we are speaking to the Creator of everything. The One who has given us life and breath. The One who owes us nothing but contempt for our sinful natures, but who has the Grace and Mercy to call us His sons and daughters. When you look outside, and see the grass and trees and sky, God did that. And that God allows us to call Him Father.

That God is worthy of all the Love we can give. And He is also worthy of our respect.

3 comments:

  1. This has occurred to me many times as well. We serve at the pleasure of the enthroned...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Sarah! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it's considered a "children's" song, but it's been going through my head a lot lately, and popped in again when I read this post: My God is so big, so strong and so mighty, there's nothing my God cannot do...The mountains are His, the valleys are His, the stars are His handiwork too...". Love this post, Randy... and I love the photo you used. Is it copyrighted? (On a lighter note, how can someone write like you do on this blog and dress up with a curly-haired yellow wig? LOL)

    ReplyDelete