Friday, October 19, 2012

Like Loaves And Fishes, But With Words

I've noticed lately that, whenever I pick up the Bible,  I read something entirely new. It isn't that I haven't read a particular passage before -- even several times before -- but that every time I re-read, I find an entirely new insight or application to my life. That there are layers upon layers to what God reveals through each individual piece of Scripture.

This shouldn't be surprising, when you think about it. Doesn't Hebrews call it The Living Word? In chapter 4, verse 12, in fact, we read, "For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."

Our God is eternal. His wisdom is eternal. 1 Corinthians 1:25 says, "For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength."

So how arrogant was I to believe, even for a second, that I had anything like a full understanding of His word?

The truth is, where God is infinite, His very words must also be infinite. Each one of God's words must be worth so much more than our own could ever be -- and indeed when you read and re-read what He has inspired, reading under His inspiration, you can't help but see that is exactly the case. Like an onion,  you can savor His words, peeling layer after layer after layer, and finding each meaning more powerful than the last.

And, I'm growing to learn, with each new understanding can only come the desire for more. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, me too Randy! and I've been a Christian since 1979 (probably before you were born even--and 6 years after Earl was born)... Anyway, "with each new understanding can only come the desire for more" -- AMEN. You say so much with so few words and make what you say so easy to understand; my simple mind says: thank you!

    ReplyDelete